A carpet of golden leaves, cosy layers, the scent of bonfires in the air and a toasty fire to warm your toes. Autumn brings with it comfort food galore – warming soups, tasty stews and brightly coloured seasonal produce. This recipe celebrates the classic French Onion soup using award-winning Quicke’s cheese – a proper winter warmer.
50g Quicke’s whey butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1kg onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 tsp sugar
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
250ml dry white wine
1.3l hot strongly flavoured beef stock
4-8 slices baguette (depending on size)
140g Quicke’s vintage cheddar, finely grated
1. Melt the Quicke’s Whey Butter with the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft.
2. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 mins more, stirring frequently, until caramelised. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don’t burn.
3. Add the garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time, then sprinkle in the plain flour and stir well.
4. Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the beef stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins.
5. To serve, turn on the grill, and toast the bread. Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls.
6. Put a slice or two of toast on top of the bowls of soup, and pile on the Quicke’s Vintage Cheddar. Grill until melted. Alternatively, you can cook the toasts under the grill, then add them to the soup to serve.