There’s nothing better than making your own homemade jam, especially without those additives that you can’t even pronounce. You might have a garden full of apples, plums, strawberries – or you might not have anything growing, but don’t let that stop you because there’s always farmers market on or that farm shop you’ve been meaning to drop by - or be adventurous and forage those berries!
Here is a tried and tested recipe with three simple ingredients – just make sure you make enough because they’ll disappear quickly!
(The Simplest) Strawberry Jam Recipe
Ripe strawberries for sweetness
Sugar (3/4 cups of sugar per cup of berries)
Lemon juice (2 Tbsp per cup of berries)
1. Prepare your jars by sterilising them; wash jars and lids in hot soapy water and dry in preheated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes.
2. Blend the strawberries (if you like a fine jam) or mash with a potato masher if you prefer chunkier jam.
3. Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and apply medium-to-high heat until the mixture boils.
4. Once the mixture boils, lower the heat to medium-to-low for a further 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and transfer to your prepared jam jars. Leave about ½ inch from the top of the jar.
6. Leave to cool and set.
7. Keeps for 4 weeks in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer.
Enjoy with some freshly baked scones or simply, toast!